The 10 acre brownfield site was located within the Manor Royal Business Park with a frontage to Gatwick Road. The site was lying vacant, contained by hoardings, following the demolition of the former Thales buildings in 2011.
It was divided into three parcels. The first to contain two office buildings, the second to comprise a single office building, and the third to have small retail, café and restaurant units. In total, the development will provide just over 231,424 sq. ft. of new floor space, 90% of which will be offices.
The hybrid application was the first ever received by Crawley Borough Council and presented a fresh set of challenges for Vail Williams in ensuring the smooth running of the planning application through the process.
The expert property planning consultants carried out extensive negotiations with the Council to receive early determination, and also negotiated uses within the retail parcel of the development.
The planning process also required Vail Williams to undertake detailed negotiation and agreement with planning officers, and a public exhibition was held at ‘The Base’ (Virgin Atlantic HQ), in Crawley.
- Commercial planning advice
- Expert negotiation skills
As a result of the commercial planning advice provided by the property planning consultants to project manage the planning application phase, planning was permitted through committee in February 2015, despite being under and over provisioned in different parcels.
Parcels 1 and 3 achieved outline permission, whilst parcel 2 received detailed permission.
The team was also able to negotiate an S278 agreement between the Council and the developer regarding modifications to the highway, which saved the client £775,000.
The development is expected to provide in the region of 1500 new jobs and the new buildings will achieve a BREEAM very good rating.
For further information please contact our team.
Other Property Planning Advice Case Studies
- Highcross Strategic Advisers Limited The property planning consultancy team was appointed by Highcross Strategic Advisers Limited (now No... Read more
- Frimley Park Children's Centre The property planning consultancy team was appointed by Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust t... Read more
- Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust The property planning consultancy team was appointed by Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust t... Read more